Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Gruit results and shared information
02-04-2013, 08:49 PM,
Gruit results and shared information
Hi All,

I keep brewing my gruit recipe with small changes each time. I like it, it is different from beer and has a great buzz associated with it. I wanted to try using other ingredients such as Labrador Tea, Marsh Rosemary, Sweet Gale/Bog Myrtle but they simply aren't available to me in my area. I know several BrewTubers have tried gruit using different ingredients and I'd love to hear feedback, so I am creating this thread in hopes that people will add notes for all to read.

SJPorr and Larmo22 did a recipe similar to my first batch of gruit but they used a hibiscus/lavender tea (with some other ingredients like chamomile & cardamon) to substitute for the hibiscus that was not available in their area. Warriorandhen used wormwood for bittering and he said his wort/must tasted fine, but he tried to dryhop with Yarrow and infected his gruit. Steve45ca did a batch using Labrador Tea, and gave some to Jakeanddar and that sounded like it turned out well.

Next time I make gruit I will use honey & honey malt. I think the herb ingredients are close to where I want them, I haven't decided on the final grain bill yet, but think I will try substituting CaraRuby for the Melanoiden Malt next time I make a batch. I may also peel off 1 gallon from my next batch to experiment with adding bitter orange peel, cardamon seeds, or crystalized ginger. I like where the recipe was going but sometimes think it needs some more spice or "zip" and that might do the trick.

I'd love to be able to develop a log/database of results for the gruit recipes that have been tried, so if you make a batch please leave feedback so we can all learn from your attempt. I can't wait to brew again.

Cheers,

Immo
Keep those kegs full!

Cheers!

Immo
02-05-2013, 03:00 PM,
RE: Gruit results and shared information
hey immo!
i will try to get our recipe down, but i don't think the flavor was hampered by that hibiscus tea! you recommended denny's favorite, then east coast, but we couldn't find those so we used old faithful us-05!
i think us-05 dried it out and made it more bitter. its drinkable, but its not my favorite!
i think i would definately used a different yeast next time.

i will get the recipe uploaded and let you know the particulars!
cheers immo!
larmo
02-05-2013, 07:47 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-06-2013, 03:57 AM by Immolateus.)
(02-05-2013, 03:00 PM)larmo22 Wrote: hey immo!
i will try to get our recipe down, but i don't think the flavor was hampered by that hibiscus tea! you recommended denny's favorite, then east coast, but we couldn't find those so we used old faithful us-05!.........

Hi Larmo

Sorry, I wasn't trying to give the impression that I thought the tea would've hampered anything, just that it was a variable and I was hoping to see what you guys thought about having used it. I did a batch with US-05 as well and I thought it was good, but I agree it dried it out a bit and was slightly more bitter. My next batch I will be using more honey malt & actual honey, The batch DJthechef and I made we used honey & honey malt and it had a very nice sweetmess and honey aroma.
Keep those kegs full!

Cheers!

Immo
02-06-2013, 02:01 AM,
Immo,

Can you post the latest recipe?

Gary
MBG

Gary

Twitter  YouTube  Google+

No one is smarter than all of us, share knowledge brew great beer!
02-06-2013, 04:22 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-06-2013, 05:24 AM by Immolateus.)
(02-06-2013, 02:01 AM)Mainebrewguy Wrote: Immo,

Can you post the latest recipe?

Gary

Here is the most recent one that DJtheChef & I did together, it yielded 15 gallons so divide by 3 of you are making a 5 gallon batch. We tried 3 different yeasts to get an idea of the differences yeast might apply. The main flavor was mostly the same but the dryness and nose were very different depending on the yeast.

No protein rest, single infusion mash at 148F for 90min
Sparge 170F

GRAINS:
25 lbs Golden Promise
5 lbs CaraGold
5 lbs Honey Malt
5 lbs CaraMunich
2 1/2 lbs Melanoiden

90 minute boil
BUT additions only at 40, 20, 10

ADDITIONS:
40 minutes
1 oz Yarrow
1 oz Mugwort
1/2 oz Heather
1/2 oz Chamomile

20 minutes
3/4 oz Yarrow
3/4 oz Mugwort
3/4 oz Heather
1/2 oz of Chamomile
1/2 oz Damiana
3 oz Hibiscus

10 min
2 oz Irish moss
2 each Servomyces
add 5 lbs of Clover Honey

5 minutes
3/4 oz Yarrow
3/4 oz Mugwort
3/4 oz Heather
1/2 oz Chamomile
1/2 oz Damiana
2 oz Hibiscus

Split batch into three 5 gallon batches
OG 1.070
1 batch using Wyeast 1450 Denny's Favorite 50 Ale Yeast
1 batch using Whitelabs 001 California
1 batch using Whitelabs 004 Irish Ale
approximate fermentation temp 68F

Immo's quick notes and observations:
I think this will be a good starting point for my future batches. I am happy with the herb additions, the only thing I would change is adding a bit more hibiscus and heather. It seems to be hard to locate both herbs in large quantities. The grain bill on this one produced a great red color with a hint of purple (hibiscus?) I think next time I will use 3lbs of CaraRed instead of 2 1/2lbs of Melanoiden and I think I will also kick up the honey malt to 7lbs and add orange blossom or raspberry blossom honey instead of clover honey (I will keep honey at same portion)

Regarding the 3 different yeasts...Wyeast 1450 Denny's Favorite 50 Ale Yeast (still my favorite) which brings out the herb notes in the aroma...Whitelabs 001 California slightly dry slightly more bitter (I had same result with US-05 on a different batch)....Whitelabs 004 Irish Ale was by far the smoothest but lacked a bit in the nose department. The best 2 yeasts were easily the Irish (super smooth) and the Denny's 50 (very floral) depending on what you like. I would like to try using WhiteLabs East Coast Ale next time but if I cant find any I would still default to the Denny's 50 or Irish yeast over US-05 or Cally.

Gruit seems to be best after aging for about 8+weeks

Here is the 2 recipes that Steve45ca did.
He did not include any mash info so your guess is as good as mine.

1 Gallon Recipe:
1.31kg 2 row pale malt
40g crystal malt 60
30g carapils
20g munich malt
12g yarrow
12g sweet gale
12g labrador tea
1 pkg Nottingham ale yeast

5 Gallon Recipe:
5.9kg 2 row pale malt
1.8kg crystal malt 60
1.36g carapils
91g munich malt
60g yarrow
60g sweet gale
60g labrador tea
1 pkg Nottingham ale yeast
Keep those kegs full!

Cheers!

Immo
02-08-2013, 03:44 AM,
Awesome Immo Thank you for posting this, I would love to try this some time. It looks interesting all the way around. Just currious what version of gruit is this?
MBG

Gary

Twitter  YouTube  Google+

No one is smarter than all of us, share knowledge brew great beer!
02-08-2013, 06:25 AM,
(02-08-2013, 03:44 AM)Mainebrewguy Wrote: Awesome Immo Thank you for posting this, I would love to try this some time. It looks interesting all the way around. Just currious what version of gruit is this?

I would consider this version 4ish (Ive done 4 batches with changes)....I also listened to feedback from Hocky, Warrior&hen, HornedHelmet, DJtheChef, Larmo & SJporr, and Steve45ca....so 4.0 would be a safe guess (I think) as far as the "effective" version. There have been a few other guys that have tried it but I haven't heard back from them.

I think ABADan (AKA: ArrogantBastardALe AKA: Dantheman) just did his first attempt....you should speak with him before trying so you can get his feedback too....

....so far everyone has said the buzz is very unique...but mixed results as far as taste....I have liked most of my versions...but haven't tried other versions for obvious reasons. I think Gruit is kinda like Mead...you either like it or not. Im very curious about Steve45ca's version....I suspect the herbs he used are more "east coast" and available to you. If you try it please leave feedback.
Keep those kegs full!

Cheers!

Immo
03-03-2013, 10:25 PM,
(02-08-2013, 06:25 AM)Immolateus Wrote:
(02-08-2013, 03:44 AM)Mainebrewguy Wrote: Awesome Immo Thank you for posting this, I would love to try this some time. It looks interesting all the way around. Just currious what version of gruit is this?

I would consider this version 4ish (Ive done 4 batches with changes)....I also listened to feedback from Hocky, Warrior&hen, HornedHelmet, DJtheChef, Larmo & SJporr, and Steve45ca....so 4.0 would be a safe guess (I think) as far as the "effective" version. There have been a few other guys that have tried it but I haven't heard back from them.

I think ABADan (AKA: ArrogantBastardALe AKA: Dantheman) just did his first attempt....you should speak with him before trying so you can get his feedback too....

....so far everyone has said the buzz is very unique...but mixed results as far as taste....I have liked most of my versions...but haven't tried other versions for obvious reasons. I think Gruit is kinda like Mead...you either like it or not. Im very curious about Steve45ca's version....I suspect the herbs he used are more "east coast" and available to you. If you try it please leave feedback.

Here's a short video on my Gruit! Feel free to ask any questions (some were answered in the comments of this video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC46KdFv_GU
09-22-2013, 08:24 PM,
I brewed this one, well very similar based on Immos base recipe, last night. Since Honey malt isn't available in Norway, I used Biscuit male instead. Also, my target OG was 1.065, and I only had 4 kg of golden promise on hand, so I added 1 kg of 2-row pale malt to get it where I wanted.

Also, instead of 1oz of Sterling as Immo did, I chose to use 1oz of Mosaic. I know, it's cheating the Gruit style, but hey, I'm heeding the advice of others... :-)

I'm uploading the brew-footage to youtube as I type, and it will be live at : http://youtu.be/FJkylBc5L0I

Thanks a great deal to Immolateus for putting together these ingredients and giving it a whirl.

I'll let you know how it turns out on a HBW next month or so.

Cheers!
09-26-2013, 01:10 AM,
So what kind of flavor does Damiana bring to the party? I can find a lot about its effects, but not what it tastes like.

I have the grains and herbs to do Immo's original gruit, maybe with the addition of some sweet orange peel. Wondering if I'm missing the bus on the Damiana.