Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Gruit SJ & I made
02-10-2014, 04:02 PM,
The Gruit SJ & I made
OK y'all, Ive been delinquent also with this posting, 1 1/2 years after the fact! But here is our recipe 10 gallon batch:

5 lb Pale Malt
5 lb 2 Row
8 lb Marris Otter
2 lb Honey Malt
2 lb Munich Malt
2 lb Melanoiden

40 min
1 oz Yarrow
1/2 oz Mugwort
1/2 oz Heath tips

20 min
1/2 oz yarrow
1/2 oz mugwort
1/2 oz heather tips
1/2 oz chamomile
1 oz hibiscus

5 min
1/2 oz yarrow
1/2 oz mugwort

Yeast- we each used US05

I would recommend a different yeast. US05 dried this brew out tremendously!
Our grain mill did not crush our grain correctly and we got terrible efficiency! The yeast worked its tail off and we still ended up with about a 7 % gruit.

I personally did not care for this brew, but I have plenty of friends that like this very much, maybe they were comparing to other gruits that they have tried!! haha
02-10-2014, 09:14 PM,
RE: The Gruit SJ & I made
Do you recall what temp you mashed at?

I'm still planning on doing Immo's original recipe to be ready for summer drinking.
02-11-2014, 08:39 PM,
(02-10-2014, 09:14 PM)Intermezzo1257 Wrote: Do you recall what temp you mashed at?

I'm still planning on doing Immo's original recipe to be ready for summer drinking.

Haha! I wish! I might have to go back to the video SJ did back in August/September 2012! It might be there, but normally we shoot for between the 150-155, now that you brought it up, that might be why it was dry tasting, i'm sure it was the yeast. We substituted from immo's recipe some of the grains due to the homebrew store in PA didn't have some of the grains! Sj still wants to do it again!
02-12-2014, 12:28 AM,
(02-11-2014, 08:39 PM)larmo22 Wrote: Haha! I wish! I might have to go back to the video SJ did back in August/September 2012! It might be there, but normally we shoot for between the 150-155, now that you brought it up, that might be why it was dry tasting, i'm sure it was the yeast. We substituted from immo's recipe some of the grains due to the homebrew store in PA didn't have some of the grains! Sj still wants to do it again!

I went back and watched. You mashed at 150 and 152. You guys also commented on poor efficiency due to SJ's mill not crushing the grain well. And you used some "calming tea" instead of actual hibiscus flowers.
02-12-2014, 02:53 PM,
(02-12-2014, 12:28 AM)Intermezzo1257 Wrote:
(02-11-2014, 08:39 PM)larmo22 Wrote: Haha! I wish! I might have to go back to the video SJ did back in August/September 2012! It might be there, but normally we shoot for between the 150-155, now that you brought it up, that might be why it was dry tasting, i'm sure it was the yeast. We substituted from immo's recipe some of the grains due to the homebrew store in PA didn't have some of the grains! Sj still wants to do it again!

I went back and watched. You mashed at 150 and 152. You guys also commented on poor efficiency due to SJ's mill not crushing the grain well. And you used some "calming tea" instead of actual hibiscus flowers.
thats right, it did have hibiscus listed on the ingredients! it did taste really good as a wort so i was super excited about this brew, maybe if we would have stopped the fermentation at a certain gravity so it could retain some of the residual sweetness, oh well, thats why we brew, to give us more ideas for next time!
02-12-2014, 06:45 PM,
I made teas from all of the individual gruit herbs Immo used, to see what they brought to the party (yeah, I'm that much of a nerd, LOL). The hibiscus and chamomile do bring some natural floral sweetness on their own. All things considered, though, you're probably right - the yeast ate all the sugars there were.